In 2016, we took down 1.7 billion ads that violated our advertising policies, more than double the amount of bad ads we took down in 2015.
Source: How we fought bad ads, sites and scammers in 2016
By the end of 1975, David Bowie was riding high on the pop charts thanks to the album Station to Station which included the hit Golden Years. He had retired his famous glam characters, Ziggy Stardu…
Source: ZEN PENCILS » 205. DAVID BOWIE: Go a little further
With Christmas fast approaching you will be participating in an inordinate amount of get-to-know-you chatter with extended family.
Source: What your relatives actually think when you say “UX Designer”
Meet Willie and Daniel Williams of Charlotte, who are 96 and 98 years old. They’ve been married for 77 years, earning them the title of Longest Married Couple in North Carolina.
Source: Longest Married Couple in North Carolina — Our State Magazine
1. Writing, like falling down 47 flights of stairs, is something you do. You can’t just say you’re a writer when you haven’t written anything, and you can’t scream “HELP HELP I AM FALLING DOWN THE STAIRS!” if you are just standing there, and not actually falling down anything.
2. It is harder to finish a piece if you start writing it, stop, and then start again. You have to keep up your momentum. The same is true about falling down 47 flights of stairs.
3. Both writing and falling down 47 flights of stairs require preparation. Writing a novel, for example, necessitates understanding character, plot construction, and sentence structure. Falling down 47 flights of stairs requires 47 flights of stairs, and being at the top of those stairs, and gravity.
4. As with tweeting it in CAPS LOCK, screaming “BUY MY BOOK!” while falling down 47 flights of stairs will never yield as many purchases of your self-published ebook as you hoped it would.
5. Finishing a manuscript feels like reaching the bottom of a fall down 47 flights of stairs: you are dazed, you are a bloody mess, there are now pieces of you scattered about in places you never expected. But one thing is certain: if you survive, no one will ever be able to take away from you the experience of writing a novel, book of poems, or think piece, just like how no one can take away from you the experience of surviving a fall down 47 flights of stairs.
Source: List: Five Similarities Between Writing and Falling Down 47 Flights of Stairs – McSweeney’s Internet Tendency
In our previous two posts, we looked at some of America’s pioneering women of midcentury automotive design. This week, we travel to Europe to explore the story behind an unlikely figure whose early exploits helped shape the automobile for centuries to come. Portrait of Bertha Benz as a young
Source: Bertha Benz, the Fugitive Road-Tripper Who Helped Launch the Modern Automobile – Core77
“When the work exceeds the ideal of the artist, the artist makes scant progress, and when the work falls short of his ideal it never ceases to improve, unless avarice be an obstacle.” I…
Source: 203. LEONARDO da VINCI: Step away from the canvas
When collaborating with others – especially when designers and programmers are part of the mix – watch out for these dirty four letter words: Need Must Can’t Easy Just Only Fast They are especially dangerous when you string them together. How many times have you sa…
Source: Four letter words – Signal v. Noise